A fundamental principle of student financial aid is that students and their families have the primary responsibility for financing the cost of higher education. Student financial assistance programs are designed to help defray those costs, which remain after the resources of the student, and the student’s family has been taken into consideration.
Signature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of Nursing offers a number of financial aid programs to help students with their educational needs. Financial Aid is awarded on a needs basis and on the availability of financial aid resources. No student should be discouraged from attending BHSN due to limited financial resources.
All students requesting financial aid must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This may be done online at: www.fafsa.ed.gov. A new FAFSA is required for each financial aid year. The Financial Aid deadline for Academic Year 2018-2019 is May 1, 2018. You can still apply after that deadline for Federal Financial Aid only.
In order to be eligible to receive financial aid from BHSN, a student must meet the following standards:
- Be enrolled as a student at BHSN.
- Be enrolled at least half-time (12 clock hours) for Federal Title IV programs. Exception: Federal Pell Grant recipients may be enrolled less than half-time (45 clock hours) per term.
- Be enrolled full-time (24 clock hours) for MASSGrant monies.
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen (legal resident).
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by BHSN.
- Must not be in default on any federal student loan nor owe any refund on any grant received while attending any institution of post-secondary education.
- Demonstrate financial need (for need-based aid) as evidenced by the results of a valid Free Application for Federal Student Assistance (FAFSA).
- Sign statements of educational purpose, selective service status, anti-drug use/abuse and certification of rights and responsibilities for participation in financial aid programs.
- Provide all requested documentation to the Financial Aid Director to verify determined need, such as a federal tax form and the verification worksheet.
Signature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of Nursing has been approved by the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education to provide training for eligible persons under the Montgomery GI Bill® Program for Chapter 30, Chapter 35, Chapter 1606 and Chapter 1607 Post 09/11 Chapter 33. Signature Healthcare Brockton Hospital School of Nursing does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Please contact our Registrar’s Office for further information.
If you have any questions, I am happy to be of assistance. Please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Jeannie I. Gonzales, Financial Aid Director